21 May 2018 (starts at 1pm) – 25 May 2018 (finishes at noon) – University of Exeter (Streatham Campus)
Course currently open to NERC GW4+ DTP students only: 2nd, 3rd & 4th years
Deadline for registration: 23 April 2018
This advanced course aims to equip you with the skills you need as you work through the latter stages of your PhD and start to think about your future career, whether or not you intend to pursue a career in research. Using interactive workshops, you will learn:
- What makes projects fundable and people employable?
- How to understand simple budgets, costings and financial statements, and how to get funding.
- What careers are open to researchers ‘outside the lab’?
- How to network with the right people even if you hardly know them.
- How to promote your work effectively to different audiences.
- And more….
Workshops include a ‘real-life’ exercise where you will handle the planning and logistics for a multi-national field trip to the Antarctic. In teams, you will have to assimilate and deal with large quantities of complex information and be ready and able to handle last-minute, unexpected issues which threaten the project.