The NERC GW4+ Research Experience Placement (REP) scheme is aimed at addressing the shortage of individuals with quantitative skills coming into earth and environmental science. We offer summer placements across the GW4+ partners for undergraduate students in quantitative disciplines to engage in active research projects in the NERC area, enhance their academic skills and make a more informed decision on furthering their research at postgraduate level. Projects are open to undergraduate students from across the UK, and no restrictions are made on students applying to projects within the institutions at which they currently study. The NERC GW4+ DTP offers a stipend to support a student on a placement of between 8 to 10 weeks duration, working with supervision on staff‑defined research projects. For researchers, REP scholars can contribute significantly to the initiation and progression of research projects and provide valuable additional staffing during the summer.
Fully funded projects: up to £2,500.
REP funds will provide a student stipend for the duration of the project: in 2017, the minimum rate is £200 per week for up to 10 weeks and all projects must be a minimum of 8 weeks long. In addition to the stipend, a Research and Training Support Grant of £500 is provided for the duration of the project. Funding will start from the start date as specified by the project supervisor. Other costs associated with research must be met from research budgets and are not included in REP funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Supervisors
- Supervise the REP student throughout the course of the project
- Provide appropriate training necessary for the safe and successful completion of the project
- Ensure adequate space and equipment is available
- Give support and guidance on the dissemination of research outcomes
- Provide the DTP Hub with a report following the placement
Responsibilities of Students
- Commit to the complete term of the project
- Engage fully with the research project and maintain contact with supervisor
- Complete a survey on the REP experience following the placement
- Provide timely communication to the DTP Hub regarding the REP experience
- Input into the final REP report to be submitted to the DTP Hub